[Mingw-users] UTF-8 stdio in `gdb --interpreter=mi`?

Back to archive index
Eli Zaretskii eliz****@gnu*****
Tue May 12 01:05:27 JST 2020

> From: Alkis Georgopoulos <alkis****@gmail*****>
> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 18:13:39 +0300
>
> Is there any way to tell gdb that the mi commands it receives are in UTF-8?
> If not, can it be implemented, even with some command line flag if
> necessary?

First, I don't think this is the right place for these questions.  You
should be asking this on the GDB mailing list, gdb****@sourc*****.

More to the point, you are not talking about commands, you are talking
about _file names_ encoded in UTF-8.  Right?  What you want is for GDB
to convert the file names from UTF-8 to either ANSI or (better)
UTF-16, and then use the result in the corresponding file I/O API.

There's no such feature in GDB, AFAIK.  GDB assumes that filenames it
gets in the commands are in the same encoding as the local file names,
and for Windows this means the current ANSI codepage.

(IMNSHO, it is quite silly of VSCode to use UTF-8 on Windows, since
kits developers must know that UTF-8 is not supported well by
Windows.  But that's me.)