Forums: M+ OUTLINE FONTS (Thread #38567)

Ligatures for programming symbols (2017-04-10 21:30 by drake^ #79687)

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank you for making this awesome font, I really like it and use it a lot.

I have a feature request for the next release, that IMHO would make it even better.

A few of the new monospaced coding fonts started to define ligatures for common programming symbols. So something like != would become ≠ automatically in the editor. It would be neat to have a version of the M+ fonts where this is implemented.

https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode

Thanks!

Répondre à 79687×

You can not use Wiki syntax
Vous n'êtes pas connecté. Pour distinguer vos messages en provenance du reste, vous devez choisir un surnom. (L'unicité du surnom est pas réservé. Il est possible que quelqu'un d'autre pourrait utiliser exactement le même surnom. Si vous voulez l'assurance de votre identité, nous vous recommandons de vous connecter avant de poster.) Connexion

Re: Ligatures for programming symbols (2017-04-10 23:23 by j5lx #79689)

[Reply To Message #79687]
> Hi,
>
> First of all I'd like to thank you for making this awesome font, I really like it and use it a lot.
>
> I have a feature request for the next release, that IMHO would make it even better.
>
> A few of the new monospaced coding fonts started to define ligatures for common programming symbols. So something like != would become ≠ automatically in the editor. It would be neat to have a version of the M+ fonts where this is implemented.
>
> https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode
>
> Thanks!

I have also noticed fonts like that pop up, but I believe the number of people who really use them is still rather small overall, and not for nothing. I personally tried fonts like that but found them distracting due to the differing widths of the characters. Also, I’d like to point out that Fira Code, which you linked, is actually a modded version of Fira Mono. Fira Mono is maintained by Mozilla, an organization that also maintains a plethora of other developer resources and tools, so the fact that the two are still entirely separate after several years serves as a strong indicator to me that I’m not the only one who likes it the classic way.

At the very least, if there is going to be a version of M+ with such ligatures, it should be a separate font. At least for as long as these ligatures remain a niche phenomenon. If the primary M+ fonts received such ligatures, that would be a strong argument for me to stop using them, since I like them just the way they are.
Répondre à #79687

Répondre à 79689×

You can not use Wiki syntax
Vous n'êtes pas connecté. Pour distinguer vos messages en provenance du reste, vous devez choisir un surnom. (L'unicité du surnom est pas réservé. Il est possible que quelqu'un d'autre pourrait utiliser exactement le même surnom. Si vous voulez l'assurance de votre identité, nous vous recommandons de vous connecter avant de poster.) Connexion