[Pgbigm-hackers] Release Note pg_bigm 1.1

Back to archive index

Fujii Masao masao****@gmail*****
2013年 10月 23日 (水) 01:53:36 JST

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Beena Emerson <memis****@gmail*****> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Fujii Masao <masao****@gmail*****> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Beena Emerson <memis****@gmail*****>
>> wrote:

> There is no mention of this change in the release note.
>
> I think we can add the following as the explanation:
> Previously, if USE_WIDE_UPPER_LOWER was not defined, the multibyte character
> boundaries are ignored and bigrams was made from bytes instead. Since
> formation of bigrams does not have to depend on presence of to_lower and
> friends, it has been removed.
>

>> I'm wondering if users may need to rebuild the index when upgrading
>> pg_bigm
>> from version 1.0 to 1.1 if its platform that pg_bigm is running depends on
>> USE_WIDE_UPPER_LOWER. That is, in that platform, removing that flag may
>> mean the change of index key layout.
>

> As the commit information on pg_trgm states:
> "If there is anybody still using Postgres on machines without wcstombs() or
> towlower(), and they have non-ASCII data indexed by pg_trgm, they'll need
> to REINDEX those indexes after pg_upgrade to 9.3, else searches may fail
> incorrectly. It seems likely that there are no such installations, though."
>
> So I feel, even in bigm this would be the case and we might have to add
> similar information in the release note.

I found the following in the release note of PostgreSQL9.3. Isn't this related
to the change log in question?

Improve pg_trgm's handling of multibyte characters (Tom Lane)

On a platform that does not have the wcstombs() or towlower() library
functions, this could result in an incompatible change in the contents
of pg_trgm indexes for non-ASCII data. In such cases, REINDEX those
indexes to ensure correct search results.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao