[PRb-list] Ports me back again to the very spot; for example, all

Back to archive index

Ocken Stefanow stoke****@tda*****
2009年 8月 20日 (木) 04:56:00 JST

 desiring me with a voice of timid affability to give her some drink. It
will easily be supposed I did not let her wait, but advancing towards
her, I was seized with such a trembling, that having filled the glass
too full, I spilled some of the water on her plate, and even on herself.
Her brother asked me, giddily, why I trembled thus? This question
increased my confusion, while the face of Mademoiselle de Breil was
suffused with a crimson blush. Here ended the romance; where it may be
remarked (as with Madam Basile, and others in the continuation of my
life) that I was not fortunate in the conclusion of my amours. In vain I
placed myself in the antechamber of Madam de Breil, I could not obtain
one mark of attention from her daughter; she went in and out without
looking at me, nor had I the confidence to raise my eyes to her; I was
even so foolishly stupid, that one day, on dropping her glove as she
passed, instead of seizing and covering it with kisses, as I would
gladly have done, I did not dare to quit my place, but suffered it to be
taken up by a great booby of a footman, whom I could willingly have
knocked down for his officiousness. To complete my timidity, I perceived
I had not the good fortune to please Madam de Bre