[tomoyo-dev-en 314] Re: "file execute" directive with optional"destination domain" argument.

Back to archive index

Jamie Nguyen jamie****@tomoy*****
Sat Aug 27 08:28:17 JST 2011

Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Jamie Nguyen wrote:
>> Is my understanding correct?
>
> Yes.

Great. While I have no firm objections, here are some of my initial thoughts.

In the example I gave, 5 lines are saved from exception policy. This
is good, but personally, I find exception policy to be very powerful
and I use it whenever possible. Supposing you have "keep_domain
/bin/cat from any" in exception policy. If you change your mind and
then want /bin/cat to cause a domain transition in many domains, it is
a matter of deleting a single line. Supposing instead that you have
"file execute /bin/cat keep" in many domains, changing your mind in
this case requires many lines to be changed. A simple sed could be
used of course, but the point I'm making is the convenience of
exception policy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but two of the main reasons for the creation
exception policy are for the centralization of policy and for the
convenience of making changes to many domains. For example, instead of
having "/dev/sr0" in many domains, you can have "@DVD_DRIVE" instead
and only have to change one entry in exception policy if the device
ever changes. Without centralizing into exception policy, many lines
are required to be changed. Again, a simple sed could be used, but I
personally feel that (in the interests of code simplicity) the
addition of more directives/arguments/options into domain policy is
not necessary when exception policy is coping just fine.

Having said that, I'm ready to be convinced otherwise ;-)