[tomoyo-dev-en 152] Re: Distribution support

Back to archive index

Jamie Nguyen jamie****@tomoy*****
Mon Feb 14 16:58:09 JST 2011

Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Jamie Nguyen wrote:
>> Do you have statistics?
>
> Unfortunately no. Since the download counter
> http://sourceforge.jp/frs/redir.php?f=/tomoyo/$ReleaseID/$Filename
> generates HTTP 301/302 responses, I gave up counting .deb downloads.
> But, guessing from .rpm downloads, there are few.

There are probably still users of Ubuntu 8.04 (using old apt) and that
will be supported for another few years, so maybe it's better not to
limit download speed here. Instructions for adding repo to apt sources
only need to be carried out once anyway, right?

>> Cent OS 3
>> Debian Etch
>> Fedora 11/12
>> openSUSE 11.0/11.1
>> Ubuntu 8.10
> Ubuntu 9.04
> VineLinux 4.2
>
> Above have EOL reached.
>
>> (and maybe asianux 2)
>
> Not reached.
>
>> Do you plan to continue building kernels for these?
>
> At least, kernel patches are continued because I sometimes
> accept inquiries about old versions. Maybe binary packages
> for EOL reached versions should be built on demand.

I would have thought it is unusual for users who value security (and
use tomoyo) to be running an EOL distro that isn't receiving security
updates. I suppose such cases do exist, but creating binary packages
on demand is sufficient. Saves time/effort, and will also let us
determine whether there are still users that use EOL distros. Maybe
there are some users, but maybe there are none.