[macemacsjp-english 119] Re: trouble installing to USB drive

Back to archive index

Matthew Weymar matth****@gmail*****
Tue Jun 28 11:31:09 JST 2005

On 6/27/05, Seiji Zenitani <zenit****@tkg*****> wrote:

> Hi,
> A Japanese developer pointed out that a sticky bit to an executable file (
> Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS>/bin/emacs)
> has no special meaning on Mac OSX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac%20OSX>.
> (ref. man sticky) So I will turn off the sticky bit by default, so that the
> user can copy the Emacs icon into FAT32<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32>
> USB <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB> drive.
>
> Matthew, follow the below script or please wait for the next release.
>
> zenitani at iBookG4 $ ls -l /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS>
> /bin/emacs
> -rwxr-xr-t 1 zenitani admin 16940256 Jun 18 16:49
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS>
> /bin/emacs
> zenitani at iBookG4 $ chmod 755 /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS>
> /bin/emacs
> zenitani at iBookG4 $ ls -l /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS>
> /bin/emacs
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 zenitani admin 16940256 Jun 18 16:49
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS>
> /bin/emacs
>
> -- Seiji

Tks for your reply, Seiji.

I've followed your instructions and have the following now:
[blahblahblah:Contents/MacOS/bin] [user]% ls -l emacs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 [user] admin 16914468 Jun 7 06:16 emacs

I.e., the sticky bit's no longer set.

Still no luck copying it to my USB drive, however. Same error as above.

Any other suggestions?... Or questions?...

Tks again for your help with this - and for your work on this project, more
generally, as well,
Matthew