[macemacsjp-english 85] Re: deleting source (.el) files (leim: quail, ja-dic)

Back to archive index

Seiji Zenitani zenit****@tkg*****
Mon May 23 21:56:33 JST 2005

Hi David,

> I was wondering if it is, in principle, alright to delete certain
> big .el source files from an Emacs distribution, in particular
>
> leim/quail/*.el
> leim/ja-dic/*.el
>
> I don't know if the dictionary and input methods need to have access
> to the source file, or if people use it for anything.
> Comments appreciated.

At least you can remove the dictionary and then your distribution
become slimmer by 2MB (0.5MB in compressed form). I'm not sure
whether quail/*.el files can be removed, but it might be a reasonable
choice.

However, it is strongly recommend that all source files are available
to the users because Emacs is GPL'ed software. How about providing
both an Emacs distribution (without big *.el files) and its complete-
source-files.tar.gz?

Sincerely,

Seiji Zenitani
zenit****@tkg*****