[macemacsjp-english 264] Re: how to set up command-line installs

Back to archive index

Seiji Zenitani zenit****@tkg*****
Sat Oct 8 15:48:33 JST 2005

Hi,

On 2005/10/08, at 15:30, Jesse Alama wrote:

>> Try the make command by using the below options, so that you can
>> explicitly specify the relevant paths.
>>
>>      make EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs \
>>          prefix=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources \
>>          LISPDIR=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-
>> lisp \
>>          INFODIR=Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info
>
> This presents a good opportunity for me to ask how I should properly
> understand the difference between
>
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp
>
> and
>
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp

(snip)

> How should I understand the difference between the two lisp
> directories in the Carbon Emacs package.

The "lisp" directory is a directory for lisp files of the standard
emacs distribution, while the "site-lisp" directory is for optional
elisp packages. So one should install additional elisp packages into
the "site-lisp" directory. However, "lisp" might be better choice in
the case of gnus, because gnus seems to be a part of standard emacs
distribution, and because their files are located in the "lisp"
directory.

-- Seiji