[macemacsjp-english 492] Re: Viewing CJK characters broken after latest security update...

Back to archive index

George V. Neville-Neil gnn****@nevil*****
Tue Mar 21 13:42:38 JST 2006

At Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:44:04 +0100,
Peter Dyballa wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
>
> Am 20.03.2006 um 17:48 schrieb George V. Neville-Neil:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have no idea how this happened but installing the latest security
> > update from Apple (2006-002) has broken my ability to see Japanese
> > (and other non US) fonts. I get the diamond with a question mark in
> > it.  In iterm and other apps the fonts appear fine, it is only in
> > Emacs that I ahve this problem.  I tried re-installing but that didn't
> > help.
> >
> > Anyone else seen this?
> >
> > Here are my settings:
> >
> > (when (eq window-system 'mac)
> >    (require 'carbon-font)
> >     (setq mac-allow-anti-alias t)
> >     (set-default-font
> >      "-*-*-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-hiraginomaru"))
> >
> > I tried other fontsets (hiraginokaku) to no avail.
> >

> Applying your code in my copy on Mac OS X 10.4.5 with this security
> patch I can see in HELLO buffer (C-h H):
>
> [2 pastedGraphic.pdf <application/pdf (base64)>]
>
> [3  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
>

> Is there anything wrong here? I cannot read nor understand ...

Acutually that looks OK, and I have discovered something.

If I don't use the above code to load carbon-font and hiraginomaru
then things work mostly fine.  I'm suspecting something changed with
respect to fonts and how they're addressed, but right now I am on the
road and pressed for time so I won't investigate it for a few more
days.

I'll let y'all know what I find.

Thanks,
George