[macemacsjp-english 751] Re: ls -v does not display correctly e acute

Back to archive index

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dybal****@Web*****
Thu Nov 9 04:34:33 JST 2006

Am 08.11.2006 um 18:05 schrieb Pierre Albarede:

> I restart emacs
>
> M-x shell
> ls -v Documents
>
> I still get the decomposed form (e. g. e` instead of e grave), not
> what
> we expect.
>
> Ah I see
>
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/22.0.50/lisp/
> term/mac-win.elc
>
> probably I need to recompile something.  I won't do it :=))

There is nothing needed to be re-compiled. All things you set happen
in the end of the process of Emacs launching. Until then it has
interpreted all built-in code and loaded external Elisp. So your
settings always override some "defaults."

There is probably one more difference between our environments: I
have in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist LANG and LC_CTYPE set. So even a
Carbon Emacs is able to set itself up in the way it is supposed to
happen – on other operating systems/environments.

There is a way to test my environment, in Terminal, for example:

	env LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 /Applications/
EmacsJCVS.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs &

In Terminal you can easily "complete" a name by typing the first few
correct characters and then pressing TAB (btw., RTN is in Emacs speak
RET). With a few steps you can reach the end.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.