[macemacsjp-english 145] Re: trouble installing to USB drive

Back to archive index

Seiji Zenitani zenit****@tkg*****
Wed Aug 3 01:38:55 JST 2005

Hi,

On 2005/08/01, at 8:29, Matthew Weymar wrote:

>> I retried the below issue and my
>> conclusion is that the FAT32 drive is not supported due to Mac OSX's
>> problem.
>
> I think I understand: It's a Mac OSX issue.
>
> Q: You don't know whether this is a known issue, do you?... (I have
> not yet researched this myself.)

Well..., I'm not sure but I think this is not a known issue.

>> Several symbolic links play important roles inside the
>> Emacs.app bundle but it seems that one cannot copy them by dragging
>> the icon into the FAT32 USB drive. Strangely, I can copy a symbolic
>> link into the USB drive by using 'cp' command in Terminal.app but I
>> cannot copy it by dragging the icon into the USB drive.
>
> Do you mean to suggest that I could 'cp' the Emacs.app to the USB
> drive?...

No. I don't recommend you to copy *.app file into the USB drive by
using 'cp' command. It is quite possible that you encounter other
troubles due to several unexpected Mac OSX's problems...  If you'd
like to run the Emacs in the FAT32 drive, I recommend you to copy the
dmg file into the drive and then double click it to use the Emacs
icon. I understand that it is not an elegant way.

-- Seiji