[macemacsjp-english 15] Re: alt doesn't work

Back to archive index

Seiji Zenitani zenit****@tkg*****
Sat Mar 26 02:24:05 JST 2005

Hi,

On 2005/03/26, at 1:38, Shug Boabby wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i have an iBook G4 and i am using the march build. i removed all the
> *japanese* startup files as i am using it in an english environment.
>
> in all OS X apps, if i type "alt-e e", i will get é (e-acute) printed
> on the screen. likewise for other accented characters. also, "alt-2"
> will type € (euro). but these do not work on Carbon Emacs, instead i
> get an unfilled square box for "alt-e e" and a Ü (U-umlaut) for "alt-2"
>
> can i fix this?

For Carbon Emacs, "alt" or "option" is recognized as a "meta" key.
Use an input-method.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/Input-Methods.html

However, when you input "é" you may find a white box on the screen. I
think the below lines should be added to the default font settings
(carbon-font).

",latin-iso8859-15:-apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-m-*-mac-
roman"

To Hiromatsu-san (the author of carbon-font), could you check this?

Seiji Zenitani