[macemacsjp-english 579] Re: Input-methods

Back to archive index

Marcus Geiger ml6-a****@antbe*****
Fri May 5 02:42:02 JST 2006

Hi,

Am 04.05.2006 um 17:17 schrieb Seiji Zenitani:

>> When I switch the input-method with M-x set-input-method the mode
>> line changes to "-DE>1:--", but when I press any key it changes back
>> to "-1:--".
>>

> The Carbon Emacs Package uses the OS-native input method, which you
> use in other OSX applications such as TextEdit.app or Mail.app. It
> may be in sync with the OS-native input method. Any more hints?

I understand. The point is, that I don't want to use the system
supplied input method because there is no such input method like
german-prefix or TeX. As I'm switching my system input method from
time to time to english, I want to be able to enter german umlauts in
a friendly manner.

>> I'm using carbon emacs now for some time but I never figured out how
>> to solve that issue. FYI I tried the same on Aquaemacs and also using
>> an X11 emacs on my mac where it works. To be sure, I also commented
>> out my whole dot-emacs to ensure that no other module circumvents my
>> attempts.
>>

> On Aquamacs, you have no problem? I hear the latest Aquamacs also
> uses our inline-patch.

I have no problem with the recent aquaemacs 0.9.9c because there is
way to disable the inline patch, which is also described in the
aquaemacs changelog:

2006-04-10 Version 0.9.9c

* Input methods work again.

* System-wide input methods (via the "International" preference
panel) can now be used instead of the Emacs-specific ones.  Use
Options -> Aquamacs Multilingual Environment -> Use System Input Method
to turn it on or off - it's switched on by default.
Patch by Taiichi Hashimoto

I compared both patches and found out that there are significant
differences. I also found some changes which look to me like the
additional functionality for disabling the system wide input method.

I also found out that in carbon emacs it's possible to exit the
system input method by calling the function `mac-exit-inline-input-
method'. But I'm unsure if it is the "right thing"; and if it is
intended as a public interface for disabling the system input method?
What do you think?

Yours
Marcus
--
Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do.
- Alan Kay