[macemacsjp-english 759] Re: utf-8m auto-completion

Back to archive index

Seiji Zenitani zenit****@mac*****
Wed Nov 22 00:11:24 JST 2006

On 2006/11/21, at 23:47, Pierre Albarede wrote:
> Le 14 nov. 06 à 20:26, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>> I think this is either a bug in utf-8m.el or a bug in our .emacs
>> files – in the X client's *shell* buffer it works better, but it
>> understands é in UTF-8.
>
> This is the file:
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/22.0.90/lisp/
> international/utf-8m.el
8<

> Indeed, I see one mistake in this file, not in the code itself but in
> the comments.

Didn't you read the below lines? Theoretically it break the consistency,
therefore I shall not use utf-8m as default coding system.
Wait for Emacs 23, if you need perfect support for MacOSX filenames.

> ;; Note that utf-8m does not restore the above characters when
> ;; it exports the filenames.

> With only
> (set-file-name-coding-system 'utf-8m)
> in .emacs, non ASCII filenames are not correctly displayed by M-! ls.
>
> However, they are correctly displayed with only
> (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8m)
> in .emacs.

In this case, probably (set-process-coding-systems 'utf-8m) is called
via (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8m).

-- Seiji