[macemacsjp-english 655] Re: Transparency patch (again)

Back to archive index

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dybal****@Web*****
Mon Sep 18 06:09:05 JST 2006

Am 17.09.2006 um 17:23 schrieb Seiji Zenitani:

> When we finish the code, we can propose it again to the emacs main
> developers because it will benefit free platforms, too. However, at
> present nobody has succeeded to build a transparent emacs on X,
> except for the original author. We believe that it requires too up-
> to-date environment -- reportedly it requires X11R6.8 or newer with
> some extension.

X11R6.8(.2) can be installed with Fink or DarwinPorts. This release
is the first to support translucent windows, also shadows as windows
decoration. Sun used it as basis for its Looking Glass. Starting with
X11R6.8.1 XOrg can be fetched via CVS.

XFree86 4.6.x has the X Rendering Extension (XRender, taken from Plan
9) only partially implemented: the transparency and anti-aliased text
parts.

Could be the real need is a modern libXft and lib FreeType 2 –
because, xdpyinfo on Apple's X server tells that it has already the
RENDER extension. You never tried the patch in X11?

--
Greetings

   Pete

 From error to error, one discovers the entire truth.